Sunday, January 20, 2008

It's a boy

18/1/2007

Deliphina De Nunes delivered her first child today in somewhat better surroundings than Maria did (see "It's a girl", 30/12/2007).
Labour began at about 5pm. Baby delivered at 8, on a couple of sheets thrown upon on the earthen floor in the corner of the bedroom. Mama Leonarda, the village chief's wife, was again by my side to help; but no sign of El Mustachio this time round. I walked her through the delivery and aftercare, I wonder if she'll be able to do this on her own when I'm gone.
The neighbours' wives gathered outside the door were an opportune target for my routine sermon on breastfeeding - a subject I've become a rabid advocate of.

Having learnt my lesson from the shock of being asked to name the last baby, this time I had come prepared with a list. Sadly, proud mum and dad had already thought of a name. Oh well.

'Reuben', Hebrew, meaning "see, a son."

-raj

No comments: